Monday, February 2, 2004

New Students at Happy Marian

I'm still teaching my little three-year-olds at Happy Marian (the theme song I have to sing to them goes, "Marian, Marian, Happy Happy Marian, You and Me, don't you see, learning is fun together" and is running through my head right now). Because the school is run for profit, the best interests of the children are not always the most important motive, and so for this reason I have acquired three new students mid-term (directly following my vacation) without much regard for their English ability or developmental level. But I think it will be okay after all.

My three new students include Ruby, whose first day was today and is very independent but silent. She can count but doesn't know the word for bathroom; she peed all over the floor today, since she couldn't ask to go. Next is Wilson, who is actually two years old still (almost three) and who has eczema or something like it, so that he's always scratching himself. He's very sweet and friendly but rather overweight and not physically adept at all. He falls over a lot. Last is Jasmine, who has had hysterics every day so far (screaming, crying, flailing on the floor). She is very spoiled and has never had to do anything she didn't want to before; her family is really wealthy so the school treats her with kid gloves. She is physically the smallest but actually speaks English quite well and is very intelligent. She's calming down and should be able to participate in class eventually. My old students are still in the class: Jeff, Max, Dhwani and Jessie, and are of course very well behaved and sweet, if a little bemused by these newcomers.

No comments:

Post a Comment