Thursday, May 26, 2011

Me and Darling B

I saw this questionnaire on Legally Married and thought it would be fun to complete:

How long have you been together?

Since the fall of 1997, so over 13 years! Yikes...I feel old. We've been married for almost 4 years.

How long did you know each other before you started dating?

Not that long: maybe 2-3 weeks? We lived on the same dorm floor in college (his freshman year, my sophomore year), two doors apart. He was interested in me before he even met me due to the contents of my bookshelf.

How old are each of you?

Darling B – 32. Me – Also 32.

Whose siblings do/did you see the most?

Mine. His brother lives in San Francisco also (my sister lives close by in Canyon, CA), but B doesn't really like his family much. He has told me that if he never saw them again, it wouldn't make him sad. I am very close to my family.

Do you have any children together?

Yes! Little R is 3 months old and cute as a button.

What about pets?

No :( But we really want at least one rabbit and a dog, and we talk about it all the time. I think once we move to Singapore we will start with a rabbit (no point in getting one now as it would have to go into quarantine for months).

Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?

Whenever B is having one of his periodic depressive moods. I hate it when he is sad and take it extremely personally, even if he tells me specifically 1. what the reason is and 2. that it has nothing to do with me. So I usually get angry with him and start a fight.

Did you go to the same school?

Yes, we met in college (undergrad).

Are you from the same home town?

We are both from the Bay Area, but he grew up in San Francisco with richer parents; I grew up in Oakland (and lived until age 14 in what is basically the ghetto).

Who is the most sensitive?

Probably B, although I can be sensitive too (especially when my hormones are acting up). His equilibrium is very delicately balanced and gets out of whack easily, and once he gets very upset, it can take days for him to return to stability. I get upset easily, but forget about it easily too. I call him a bunnyflower (we call each other bunny) because he is a delicate flower.

Where do you eat out most as a couple?

San Francisco has probably the best food in the US, so we like to eat out a lot. We probably eat Chinese food the most (SF has really good Chinese food), since we both love it (we should: we lived in China/Taiwan for 3 years!); second runner up: burritos (SF also has great burritos: I think they're better than LA).

Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?

In space: I think Yunnan province, in China (near the border with Burma). It's fantastically beautiful there: here's a picture from one of our trips. In terms of remoteness: probably the northern hill country in Vietnam (it's really out there).



Who has the worst temper?

Me. B is typically very patient and has a long fuse. When I get stressed, tired or anxious, I get grumpy and take it out on poor B.

Who does the cooking?

B does all the cooking (unless you count toast). I cannot cook, and have no desire to learn. I do the dishes though!

Who is more social?

He is. I am pretty shy. I am also an introvert, so a little bit of socializing goes a long way for me.

Who is the neat-freak?

I am. B is a complete slob. When he's lived alone, he just dumps all his clean clothes in a pile on his bed, sleeps to one side, and wears the wrinkled clothes until they are gone. (And the dirty clothes lived in a pile on the floor next to the bed, ugh).

Who is the more stubborn?

He is. He doesn't care about many things (and thus I get my way 85% of the time), but when he does, he is immovable.

Who hogs the bed?

B would say I do (I steal the covers and wrap myself in them like a burrito, leaving him cold and shivering). I am unconvinced (I need the blankets to be comfortable! Doesn't he want me to be warm?)

Who wakes up earlier?

We used to compete on sleeping in as late as possible (we are not morning people). However, since R was born, it's me since I have to get up when she does to feed her (at 6 or 7 am).

Where was your first date?

I think the Santa Cruz arboretum?

Who has the bigger family?

I do, at least in terms of family that we see. B's father is not on speaking terms with any of his relatives, so B hasn't met most of them. His mother's family all live in the Midwest (and she is insane and thus not in contact with them), so we don't see them either.

Do you get flowers often?

No, B does not buy me flowers (he is not good at giving presents unless prompted and guided). If I want flowers, I buy them for myself!

How do you spend the holidays?

If it is doable (ie we are not living in another country), then we see my family. For major holidays, we usually see his brother (and family) and father also. I love holidays so we celebrate all of them according to my ideas (usually based on my family's traditions).

How long did it take to get serious?

Not long: we met in September and were serious by Thanksgiving.

Who does the laundry?

I do (see B's slob habits above). He did do it when I was pregnant though.

No comments:

Post a Comment