Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fitness Backslide

I was doing pretty well on the weight loss/healthiness front of late. I exercised at least 5 days a week for the last three weeks (which for me is pretty epic as I'm naturally lazy and hate exercising). So I had lost about 6 pounds.

But then I traveled back to the US. Going to my parents' house is always terrible for any weight loss/healthiness attempts. First of all, my father likes to demonstrate his affection for me by buying all my favorite treats (which I then inhale because I have no willpower). Secondly, they are both fairly sedentary (not remarkably, just the typical level for suburban Americans) so I become more sedentary too (and there's no onsite gym here, so it's harder to get exercise). Finally, just living in the US is bad for weight loss. Portions are huge, most food is really caloric (even salads), walking places is generally difficult (there aren't even sidewalks in many locations), and most people are overweight, so being overweight yourself is easy.

I am going to have to make a better effort if I want to get skinnier. So starting now, I will start listing my food consumed again, join a gym (for the time I am here) and start going at least 5 days/week, and start drinking more water. I am also going to stop eating cookies three times a day (oops)!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo to 5 days a week of exercising! i agree with you that the American lifestyle can easily lead you to weight gain. I gained over10 kilos when i went to graduate school in San Jose and now i lost all that living in Europe.
    I see you have a list of interesting books. May i ask what you think of Life After Birth by Kate Figes. I am thinking of giving this book to a friend of mine who has a 5-month old daughter. Is it a good read?
    Thanks in advance!
    Oom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you completely about the weight gain. I always lose weight when I live elsewhere: it's my travel diet!

    I loved Life After Birth and even bought it for my sister as a Xmas present. I wrote a little review about it here: http://opinionationblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/life-after-birth-kate-figes.html

    It's a little weak on SAHM/housewife issues, but really great otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply! I am not in November yet (that's why i have not seen your post on the book), i am still reading your June 1st ..:-) but i will go check it out now.

    ReplyDelete