Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Home for the Holidays

We are flying to the US tomorrow morning. The flight leaves at 6 am (ugh ugh ugh), which means we must leave our house at 3 am (please shoot me now). And of course it's Delta, the airline that can't. But it was this flight or one with a 8 hour layover in Beijing, so here we are.

I am very apprehensive about the flight. We've made this journey three times now, and each time it was not very fun. There is no way to have a good time on a 18 hour flight in coach with a baby. Also, as little R gets older, it becomes more difficult, because she wants to move around and this is not allowed on a plane. Even if she had her own seat, it wouldn't help much, because then she would have to sit in it.

She is truly walking now, and that is all she wants to do. Once she finds out that she is supposed to sit quietly for many, many hours, while sleep deprived, it is going to be really unpleasant. I wish I could fast forward through the next little portion of life, but as I don't have a magic remote, I will just have to hope for the best.

I am really excited about seeing my family and introducing little R to the magic of Christmas in the US though. I can't wait to buy her a boatload of children's books; take her window shopping in Union Square (she will think the crowds are so interesting); feed her ice cream (she hasn't had it yet) and other delicious treats; and watch her rip wrapping paper on Christmas morning. I will try to focus on the end goal, and not the probably extremely painful process of getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment