Saturday, July 4, 2015

Cloud Gate, Chicago

B and I visited Chicago without R back in Christmas 2013. It was a combination pleasure/work trip for B, so he had to work two days (out of four) that we were gone, leaving me to amuse myself while he was busy. This wasn't a bit hard as I enjoy traveling by myself, especially when a city has museums as fine as Chicago's.

Museums aside, one of my favorite things in Chicago was Cloud Gate (nicknamed the Bean) in Millennium Park. I had wanted to see it ever since That Wife visited when she lived in Chicago, and it didn't disappoint.

The sculpture is made of polished stainless steel, so it's highly reflective. I loved seeing the famous skyscrapers of Chicago in the mirrored surface.
 Cloud Gate is surprisingly large, big enough to walk through and under.The coolest thing about this is walking to the middle of the sculpture and looking up: the reflections are amazing!
The best thing about Cloud Gate, though, is seeing the reaction of people as they get close to it. I loved watching all the tourists interact with the sculpture, having fun taking their photos and goofing around with their reflections. I think the interactivity aspect of Cloud Gate is what makes it such a successful piece of public art.

No comments:

Post a Comment