Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Graves in Taiwan

I have been very busy lately. The GRE is this Saturday (ack!) and so I have been trying to finish my math review as well as work 20 hours a week, go to school, study Chinese, and do all my other things. It's a little hectic, but fun. I have decided to apply to SF State (my first choice), JFK University (in Orinda), University of Southern California, NYU, and University of Washington, in Seattle. Hopefully I will get into SF State and keep living in the Bay Area. After so much time away, I don't really want to go to school in some strange new city.

B and I did manage to go for a hike through the mountains this weekend. The path eventually led us through extensive cemeteries, which are always located on valuable and scenic real estate. The Chinese think that the placement of a grave is very important, or the ghost will come back and curse them. Usually they are oriented in south-facing direction, part-way up a hill. Each grave is much larger than an American one, and is covered with tiles. Many have little structures built above them, so from a distance they look like little houses. They are kept very tidy; as B's teacher told him, "If you don't keep your family's grave clean and swept, then you are a bad person." In fact, there is an official holiday (Tomb-Sweeping Day) designated for this purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment