Friday, April 15, 2011

Motherhood=Sacrifice?

That Wife recently wrote a post about her experience with being a first-time mother. She does not like it, even though she loves her child, and compares being a mother to Jesus's sacrifice for humanity (she is religious). In a way, I am not surprised that she dislikes motherhood, because she got married young (before finishing college even) and had a baby right away, meaning that she never got a chance to do typical 20-something things (travel, live independently, work at various jobs). She didn't even get to have much of the fun early part of marriage (especially since she is religious and thus didn't have sex until she was married), where you spend hours chatting with each other and doing things like spending all day in bed having sex or traveling to another country on a whim. Of course you can have lots of fun after children too, but then you have to plan it or it takes place in little snatches rather than continuously. And I don't think that planning on having this kind of fun after the children leave (20+ years later) is realistic: then you have many obligations (financial and otherwise: elderly parents, for example), may have health issues, and probably aren't interested anyway, since you are at a different stage in life. That is why having children before you have had significant life experience is a really bad idea. If I had R at 21, I would probably regret it too.

But what interested me more was her idea that motherhood=sacrifice, that mothers have to suffer in order to have children (which for her is a religious obligation). I really disagree with this, and actually think it's a very harmful attitude. My own mother had a little of this attitude (she also had children young, though she had more life experience than That Wife). There is no reason to be a martyr. It puts pressure on your children, who can sense your unhappiness and feel guilty about it (since you are supposedly suffering for them), and often on your spouse as well.

It is also fundamentally dishonest. While sometimes life is just painful, and you have to suck it up, most of the time you can actually improve your circumstances significantly if you are willing to put in the effort. But because this effort would require emotional pain (like admitting to yourself that you are not really good with small children, and that your child would be happier in a preschool several days a week, or that you have an anger management problem, or that you are an alcoholic), people avoid doing so. Certainly I have experienced this phenomenon myself many times, because I wanted to avoid facing my character defects. If your life is making you unhappy, it is a sign that you need to be brave and face what is bothering you.

There is no reason that motherhood should be different from any other lifestyle choice: it has its pluses and minuses, but on the whole should make you happy (or something is wrong). This is especially true given the fact that barring the extremes, there is no right or wrong way to parent (and thus you have a very wide range of styles to select from), and that much (most?) of children's personalities/outcomes are genetically determined, meaning that parents' influence is rather limited in any case. After all, parenting is first and foremost a relationship, meaning it ought to be mutually satisfying and contribute more than it takes (just like a marriage or friendship).

I think this especially given the sacrifices people often cite having made for parenting. There is no reason you can't travel, have sex, look good, or pursue hobbies even if you have children: other people do all of these things, and there is nothing special about them. Rather, people are purposefully limiting themselves, either because they in truth don't want to do those things and children are a convenient excuse, or because they are frightened. (My sister-in-law is an excellent example of this, who used her children to quit a career she didn't like; gain control over her husband (by bossing him around constantly, ostensibly to do things for the children); and avoid traveling, which she doesn't enjoy.) If you really wanted to have sex with your spouse, or take a vacation to Paris, children would not actually prevent you.

While a relationship with anyone will require giving up some things (what Dan Savage calls the "price of admission"), you should make those sacrifices gladly and without resentment, not because you are saintly, but for self-interested reasons: because the price is worth what you get. In fact, they aren't really sacrifices at all but trades, where each party should benefit.

If That Wife feels that she has given up too much, maybe it's time to rethink what she has given up. For example, her son could go to daycare full time; she could hire household help; she could decide to do less around the house; hire a sitter for a few hours every day; etc. I want to always remember to not give up anything that I regret, and to only do for R and B what I can give freely and gladly. To do that I need to listen to myself and protect my boundaries, and be comfortable in admitting that I cannot do something, even if someone I love wants it. I also should state my needs for whatever is important to me, even if it is inconvenient to others. I have a tendency towards being proud, thinking that I can handle everything and provide whatever B (and R, probably) wants, so this is a very important lesson for me to remember and keep in mind.

4 comments:

  1. I think you missed the mark on That Wife and what she was trying to say. Also, I think you missed the mark on her life as well. Just because she got married before *technically* finishing her degree, does not mean she did not have a fun college experience, travel the globe, work multiple jobs etc...

    In fact, if you have read her blog(s) as long as they've been around, you'd realize how wrong you are. Shoot, I haven't finished my degree yet, but I can guarantee I have a heck of a lot more life experiences than many.

    I don't ever remember her saying she does not like motherhood. I think the point she tries to make is that having a child is not ALWAYS rainbows and butterflies. Because there are bloggers out there that try to pretend that's how it is. They post all the pretty pics and the fun memories and leave out the things that make many women sit in their living rooms crying bc it's not as easy as it seems on the internet. Heck, that's part of why Dooce became famous. She was REAL and people identified with post-partum depression and were glad someone was finally willing to write about it openly on the internet.

    I think of kids/motherhood like marriage. It's work. There will be times you love it and times you... well you're working at it. Just because you admit you make sacrifices (lord if I had a penny for every time I heard my mom talk about sacrifices she made!) doesn't mean you're a bad person, mom, wife, or you're wrong. For the record, I don't ever feel scarred or guilty or any other negative emotion because I grew up hearing about my mother's sacrifices. It made me appreciate her. It made me see how selfless she was.

    Frankly, I'm so glad there are people out there like Jenna who are willing to admit the difficulties because it makes the rest of us realize what's really normal and it's ok if there are rough times, because there is always sunshine down the road too.

    Also, Jenna always talks about being on a tight budget and their no debt policy. It's not so easy as just putting a baby in daycare, hiring a maid, etc, etc... If it's not in the budget, well there are sacrifices. You might have to clean your own house or stay home and take care of your own child.

    You can't take a small glimpse of someone's life online and pretend you know everything about them. I don't know her in person, but have read her blog for years. Long enough to feel the need to defend her in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as life experience goes, of course having a degree is hardly a litmus test for being experienced (as is true in your case). But since she went to college right out of high school, and then married her husband right out of college, she didn't have much of a chance to live independently or experience "grown up" life. College is fun, but it's not like adult life at all, especially when your parents are paying for it and you live in the dorms. And since she had the baby so soon after being married, I think it's accurate to say that she didn't have much life experience.

    It doesn't matter if you have life experience or not to be a good mother, but I think it could make you feel that you missed out on a lot. My mother had children young (23 when I was born), and even though she had been living independently for 7 years at that point (and was married for 3), she has regretted that she didn't get to travel or have more time as a carefree childless person.

    I agree that it's valuable to be honest about the struggles you face in motherhood (or marriage for that matter). But I also think that most of the time, motherhood (or marriage) shouldn't be a struggle, barring really difficult circumstances like severe illness.

    Everyone occasionally fantasizes about killing their spouse or throwing their baby out of the window. But if you find that having children or being married is making you unhappy most of the time, then something is wrong and you need to change something, just like Dooce with her postpartum depression.

    I don't agree with the school of thought that frames marriage as hard work, or motherhood as an ongoing round of sacrifices (like Silverstein's The Giving Tree). Marriage can be hard work, and you do have to make sacrifices for your children, but that shouldn't be the central focus of either relationship. Since I became a mother, I have been surprised by how much fun and how pleasurable it is most of the time. All the "realistic" description of how hard motherhood is doesn't acknowledge that, which really is equally dishonest. And marriage is the same: yes, sometimes it's really difficult dealing with someone else's issues/immaturity/personality flaws; but most of the time it means you get to spend your life with someone you really like, who will support you in all your endeavors, give you good advice, and help you to be a better person.

    Any life choice is just like being on a budget: you decide what's important to you (paying cash for a house, going out to eat regularly, traveling frequently, being a SAHM) and then accept the drawbacks, since they are worth what you get. But there's nothing sacrificial about this, you are just rationally deciding which things you value most. If you regret the drawbacks very much, perhaps you need to rethink your decisions (so if you are unhappy with being a SAHM, then maybe you should hire a babysitter and get a job).

    Thanks for commenting so thoughtfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this (in a slightly perverse way since it was a criticism of my genuine feelings), it's always nice to read things that disagree with what I think in a non-judgmental way.

    I think your point that you give something up and get something back is interesting, but I don't think it's an even trade, and I don't think that really touches on the sacrifice that I think motherhood is. Less money that I could be spending on myself, the hassle of traveling with a baby... I selfishly want it to be the opposite, and baby smiles and grunts and groans don't really make up for that. But that's what I think motherhood is, learning to put aside your own desires and put someone else first.

    Sounds like this just comes easier for you than it dose for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, Jenna, your comment is very nice, especially considering I was making all kinds of assumptions about your feelings which may or may not be true.

    As far as your comment goes, I don't think putting aside my own desires comes easier to me at all; in fact, if anything it's probably harder for me since my value system discourages this. I just want different things, which I thought was due to me being older and having had time to travel and spend lots of money on myself already, until I got a little tired of it. I think it's a lot harder to have children very young for that reason. (Certainly it was for my mom).

    So maybe the sacrifice you make in motherhood depends a lot on your personality and situation: it's relative rather than absolute.

    ReplyDelete