Monday, May 9, 2011

My First Mother's Day

Today is my first Mother's Day where I was a mother. It was a rather strange day in some senses, because this year my mom is out of the country (visiting Paris with my father: have a great time parents!!), so unlike previous years I didn't call her, visit her or help make her breakfast. (I did mail her a card, but she won't get it until she gets back next week.)

Instead, it was a day celebrating me, which is a strange shift in status. As B told me, "You've got a new holiday!" B got up at 6 am to tend for little R, and I slept in until 10 (yay! thanks B, especially because you went to bed at 2:30 am).

Then we went to brunch at St. Francis Fountain, heartland of the hipsters. Almost every other person in the restaurant (and of course the staff, carefully dressed in vintage and ironic T-shirts) was a hipster. I liked looking at their outfits, since typically Americans do not dress with such care. Hipsters certainly know their food though: I ate vegan pancakes, bacon and a soy milkshake, and it was all absolutely delicious. B got a potato cheese dish and a real milkshake, and said his was fantastic too (and he is picky about food).

We returned home, where after a few hours, everyone took a 2-hour nap. Then my sister came over and took us out to a dinner of fancy pizza at Gialina. They do have delicious pizza (and will substitute goat cheese on any pizza, so I am happy) and salads, even if they are gourmet. (For example: nettles on pizza and fennel salad)

So it was a day of sleeping, eating a lot, and ice cream: definitely a good day.

So far I do have to work pretty hard as a mother (and the sleeplessness is awful), but little R is so darling and fun that I really don't mind. I love being her mother, and am so glad that I have a mellow, healthy and cute baby. I am very lucky, and that is the best Mother's Day present of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment