Monday, March 22, 2010

Cao Xueqin is a Genius


Today I was still sick but recovering, so I didn't take a long nap but also didn't leave the house. I feel encouraged by my recovery though, and hopefully tomorrow will be well enough to go to the gym and do my usual routine.

I helped B again with his data entry while he was at the gym (maybe 4 hours total) and made good progress, which was satisfying. We have decided to buy a second laptop so that we can both take computers to the coffeehouse and do data entry simultaneously. I am very pleased, because now B is usually using the new laptop for work and I am stuck with the old malfunctioning one. This way we will both have a nice new computer!

I also did a fair amount of reading the second volume of Story of the Stone. This novel is so good and I am enjoying it very much. It provides a wonderful glimpse of life in a wealthy Chinese household in the 18th Century, and gives so much insight into that society and time period. It is also a great character novel, describing multiple unique individuals who seem very real and psychologically rounded. I especially enjoy reading about the hero, Jia Baoyu, Wang Xifeng and her husband Lian, and Grannie Liu. But all of the characters are interesting if not always likeable (I cannot stand either of the two heroines Baochai or Daiyu). It is also frequently very funny. It's a shame that because it's originally in Chinese the book is not well-known. Probably few people in the US have even heard of it, which is really a pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment