Friday, April 29, 2011

More sleeping issues

Last night I had an argument with B over sleep. He likes to stay up late: so did I pre-R and we would usually not go to bed until 2 am (made easier by the fact that I didn't start work until 9:30 and he works from home on his own schedule).

Now R wakes up at 7 or 8 am, and also wakes up multiple times during the night, so I feel perpetually tired. She does sleep uninterrupted for 5 or 6 hours, from 8 pm to about 2 am, so if I was smart I would go to bed early and get a nice chunk of sleep, instead of having to wake up every 2-3 hours. But I am unwilling to give up my free time from being a mother in the evenings, especially since I hate going to bed early anyway, and thus don't usually go to bed until 11 or 12 (meaning I only sleep for 2 hours before waking up). This is not really the issue, though, since it is my choice.

The issue is that B doesn't like to go to bed either, and he doesn't get up with R at night (or in the early morning). So he is happy to stay up until 2 am, just like he used to. But I can't do that anymore, yet I have trouble sleeping if he is not in bed too. I also resent that he can have his preferred schedule, and I can't without being completely exhausted. Also, since it is already a challenge for me to go to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour, if he stays up really late it just compounds the problem.

So last night he told me he would go to bed directly at 12 (when I went to bed), and then didn't, resulting in me waking up at 1 am wondering where he was. I got up and he scurried off to bed (being scared of my reaction), but this was not good enough. I lay there in bed for about 10 min. fuming and then started an argument with him (I am not of the school that suffers in silence). Thankfully B was able to be a more mature person than me, and after some accusations on my part that 1. he didn't care about me since he didn't care about my sleeping and 2. he was a mean, selfish person we were able to discuss the problem more calmly.

B told me that 1. he would go to bed with me every night (which made me feel better) and 2. we should move little R's bed out of our room and into the nursery (she had only slept there for naps previously). The second recommendation was because I can't sleep well with her in the room, as I was waking up with every sound she made and wondering if I should pick her up or not (usually not, since she was just dreaming/repositioning etc.). I resisted this, since I was worried that she would suffocate or cry herself into hysteria if she was in a different room, but he insisted and so we did it.

I slept great! I did wake up at 3 am, 6 am and 6:30 due to R summoning me, but in between slept undisturbed. There was no long periods of wakefulness for me, which made a big difference. We will see how it goes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment