Sunday, June 19, 2011

I'm Home Again!

I just got back from a four-day trip to Anacortes, Washington, where I was visiting my aunt and cousin (my cousin was graduating high school). It was nice to see them, especially because we will be leaving soon. But as always, it was also very tiring (especially because B didn't come with me), since I had to care for little R in a strange environment and be thrown off our routine. Vacationing isn't really relaxing at all with a baby. Luckily, I was never interested in relaxing vacations (a full day of marching from one cultural attraction to the next is more my style).

Everyone loved little R: not surprisingly, since she is so cute (she looks just like the Gerber baby) and mellow. She was on her best behavior, and let everyone hold her without much fussing, patiently waited when required (through a long graduation ceremony, car rides, plane rides and people getting ready at various points), and was quiet at night (she only woke up once per night). This was true even though she went to bed really late every day, was in a strange environment, and had to deal with a lot of change. Four months must be a good age to travel!

But it was stressful for her. I didn't realize this until we got home, but she didn't smile as much as usual, didn't make her little vocalizations (ga ga goo brr ga), and often looked worried or solemn. Once we arrived home and she saw her father again, she was all smiles and talked and laughed. It made me a little sad to see that she had been having a hard time, even though she didn't complain/fuss too much.

Beyond going to my cousin's graduation, this trip was a trial run for our move to Singapore (I wanted to see what it was like to travel with a baby, and how little R would react). It went really well, so I have more confidence about the upcoming trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment